Saturday, August 28, 2010

What'sThe Definition Of A Gamer?

What is the definition of a gamer? Is it the emotion, the amount of time involved, the understanding, the level of skill? If you just like to play video games, are you a gamer?

This is a philosophical question in my opinion, no right or wrong answer, usually every answer I hear has some logic to it.

Some believe that even in their spare time play, that they are gamers, I concur.

Beating a game more than once, finding things you missed the previous time around, makes you a gamer.

There are those who believe video games are an art, if that's your belief, you are a gamer.

Some people play sports games, some just play Madden, they too are gamers.

Microsoft and Sony gamers, I've heard from time to time say that those who play the Wii as a primary console, are not gamers. I don't' totally agree with that assessment, but I understand.

Though the Wii and the DS are smashing the Xbox 360 and PS3 in sales, I do not feel it is the better console of the three. I believe Nintendo as a company was more innovative, and came up with a product that was universal for all ages. They were smarter in my opinion and are and have been doing a helluva job marketing. And for those reasons along believe that's why the Wii continues to be the big dog, some might say a mutt, compared to the pure breed PS3, but still the top dog. And hell, video games are video games, I've also heard PC gamers consider all consoles toys, so, to each it's own I guess.

Last but not least we have the "No Lifers". They live to play video games, every day of every year.They are the combination of every definition of gamer. They are the gladiators of video games.

Gamer has many definitions. At the end of the day, if you play enough to even consider yourself a gamer, then I would agree. Doesn't matter what console or game you play. Nor does the amount of time you put into your gaming. For the most part, people who play video games, love playing video games. It's not just the young ones playing now but old as well. Video games are becoming the mainstream for home entertainment, if it already hasn't. What do you think defines a gamer?

No comments:

Post a Comment